If you own a boat and want to lease a slip (even temporarily), you can be sure that you will need one thing above all: paperwork.

There are many boaters who are unsure of what certain documents look like. The visual reference further down will assist you in making sure you have the items our marina requires prior to docking. You should always have a copy of your boat’s current insurance and registration/documentation on board.

The paperwork you must provide will be different depending on the type of lease you have with us.   Boaters must ensure that our office has all necessary paperwork BEFORE docking or the boat cannot come in. Please contact the office after you have sent the application to confirm that we have received everything.

Short term guest slips
  [download application here]
– Copy of boat’s current registration -OR- USCG certificate of documentation
– Copy of boat’s current insurance [read requirements here]
– Copy of driver’s license
– If the boat is in a company name, you must sign a letter of personal guarantor.

Month-to-month “permanent” slips [download application here], requires formal approval
– Copy of current home utility bill, mortgage statement, or lease for the registered vessel owner(s) (Living aboard is not permitted at our marina; max 90 overnights per calendar year)
– A few current photos of the vessel to show condition & length, including swim steps & bow pulpits
– Copy of current valid insurance [read requirements here]
– Copy of current valid boat registration -OR- USCG certificate of documentation -OR- temporary travel letter from your documentation service
– Copy of valid drivers’ license(s) of the registered vessel owner(s)
– If the boat is in a company name, you must sign a letter of personal guarantor.

It is your responsibility each year to provide or ensure that we have current registration (or documentation) and insurance to keep on file here in the office.  Some insurance agencies will send your policy automatically, but it is still your responsibility to ensure that we receive it.  This also helps us to make sure we always have current owner information.  If you transfer ownership of your boat you must notify us, as you are still responsible for the slip until your lease is over.


Sample boat DMV registration

This looks very similar to a vehicle registration. Some people have this instead of a USCG certificate of documentation. Your boat registration must be non-expired, and must be in the name of the registered owner(s) of the boat. You can find more information on boat registration at the CA DMV’s website. After you have submitted your title (or “pink slip”) to the DMV and paid the appropriate fees to them, you will receive a current registration along with stickers/CF numbers. You must provide a copy of your registration to us as soon as you receive it, and are responsible to make sure that we always have a copy of your renewal. Side note – we have HUNDREDS of tenants here, and it isn’t always easy to keep track of who has updated stickers on their boat. Please give us a copy of your registration!

Info on boat registration can be found on the Dept. of Boating & Waterways site and also the ABC’s of California Boating Law. You can calculate your registration fees here. Here are some consequences of operating an unregistered boat in California (hint: don’t do it!).


Sample title/pink slip for a boat

This is not your DMV registration.  This is one of the items you submit to them when you are purchasing a boat.  Boat owners receive this when they own the boat outright, the way you do when you pay off a vehicle.  The title is not an acceptable document in place of registration or documentation.


Sample of a USCG certificate of documentation for a boat

This is a certificate of documentation, provided by the US Coast Guard. Some people have this instead of a DMV registration. You can find more information on how/why to document your vessel at the USCG’s website. The process to document a boat is sometimes quite lengthy, so in the interim we will accept travel letters from a documentation service showing the progress that has been made. You must provide a copy of your certificate as soon as you receive it, and are responsible to make sure that we always have a copy of your renewal. We recommend Dona Jenkins Maritime Document Service if you do choose to use a third party.


Sample declarations page of insurance

This is an example of an insurance declaration page – this is the only thing we need; we do not require a copy of your entire policy. The appearance of declaration pages will vary, however these are the checkpoints to look for:
1) Insured: This should match the registered or documented owner, and also must be the person who will be leasing a slip. (If it is in a company name, you must sign a letter of personal guarantor.)
2) Policy period: This shows the effective dates of your policy. It must be current.
3) Liability coverages: The wording on this can vary, however we require a minimum of $500,000.
4) Additional Insured: Anyone wishing to dock here for a month or more must list the additional insured as follows:
SCPT Marina Village, LLC
1936 Quivira Way
San Diego, CA 92109

City of San Diego
Real Estate Assets Department
Attn: Vladimir Balotsky
1200 Third Avenue, Suite 1700
San Diego, CA 92101

There are many insurance companies, we recommend you research the best one for your personal situation. We suggest talking to an agent at a company you’re already familiar with, such as whomever insures your car or home.  George Greenwell Insurance and Means Financial are local companies that we recommend as well.  While insurance companies mail us the renewal if we are listed as additional insured, YOU are responsible to make sure that the copy we have on file for you is current each time you renew.

You’ll need to have your boat surveyed before getting insurance – check out Christian & Co. Marine Surveyors for some good general information and sample surveys.

Here is some information on understanding boat insurance terms. While the Department of Boating & Waterways states “you do not have to have boater’s insurance in California“, you ARE required to have current boat insurance to dock at our marina for ANY length of time.

The appearances of these documents can vary, please contact the marina office if you have any questions.

Posted in: Marina FAQ