Marina F.A.Q.

Below is a list of our most frequently asked questions (FAQ) about our marina.  If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact one of our staff members; for a detailed directory you may refer to the Contact Information page on this web site (or call 619-224-3125).

Marina FAQ

What paperwork do I need?

If you own a boat and want to lease a slip (even temporarily), you can be sure that you will need one thing above all: paperwork.

There are many boaters who are unsure of what certain documents look like. The visual reference further down will assist you in making sure you have the items our marina requires prior to docking. You should always have a copy of your boat’s current insurance and registration/documentation on board.

The paperwork you must provide will be different depending on the type of lease you have with us.   Boaters must ensure that our office has all necessary paperwork BEFORE docking or the boat cannot come in. Please contact the office after you have sent the application to confirm that we have received everything.

Short term guest slips
(from 1 night to max 90 days) [download application here]
- Copy of boat’s current registration -OR- USCG certificate of documentation
- Copy of boat’s current insurance [read requirements here]
- Copy of driver’s license
- If the boat is in a company name, you must sign a letter of personal guarantor.

Month-to-month “permanent” slips [download application here], requires formal approval
- Copy of current home utility bill, mortgage statement, or lease for the registered vessel owner(s) (Living aboard is not permitted at our marina; max 90 overnights per calendar year)
- A few current photos of the vessel to show condition & length, including swim steps & bow pulpits
- Copy of current valid insurance [read requirements here]
- Copy of current valid boat registration -OR- USCG certificate of documentation -OR- temporary travel letter from your documentation service
- Copy of valid drivers’ license(s) of the registered vessel owner(s)
- If the boat is in a company name, you must sign a letter of personal guarantor.

It is your responsibility each year to provide or ensure that we have current registration (or documentation) and insurance to keep on file here in the office.  Some insurance agencies will send your policy automatically, but it is still your responsibility to ensure that we receive it.  This also helps us to make sure we always have current owner information.  If you transfer ownership of your boat you must notify us, as you are still responsible for the slip until your lease is over.


Sample boat DMV registration

This looks very similar to a vehicle registration. Some people have this instead of a USCG certificate of documentation. Your boat registration must be non-expired, and must be in the name of the registered owner(s) of the boat. You can find more information on boat registration at the CA DMV’s website. After you have submitted your title (or “pink slip”) to the DMV and paid the appropriate fees to them, you will receive a current registration along with stickers/CF numbers. You must provide a copy of your registration to us as soon as you receive it, and are responsible to make sure that we always have a copy of your renewal. Side note – we have HUNDREDS of tenants here, and it isn’t always easy to keep track of who has updated stickers on their boat. Please give us a copy of your registration!

Info on boat registration can be found on the Dept. of Boating & Waterways site and also the ABC’s of California Boating Law. You can calculate your registration fees here. Here are some consequences of operating an unregistered boat in California (hint: don’t do it!).


Sample title/pink slip for a boat

This is not your DMV registration.  This is one of the items you submit to them when you are purchasing a boat.  Boat owners receive this when they own the boat outright, the way you do when you pay off a vehicle.  The title is not an acceptable document in place of registration or documentation.


Sample of a USCG certificate of documentation for a boat

This is a certificate of documentation, provided by the US Coast Guard. Some people have this instead of a DMV registration. You can find more information on how/why to document your vessel at the USCG’s website. The process to document a boat is sometimes quite lengthy, so in the interim we will accept travel letters from a documentation service showing the progress that has been made. You must provide a copy of your certificate as soon as you receive it, and are responsible to make sure that we always have a copy of your renewal. We recommend Dona Jenkins Maritime Document Service if you do choose to use a third party.


Sample declarations page of insurance

Sample declarations page of insurance

This is an example of an insurance declaration page – this is the only thing we need; we do not require a copy of your entire policy. The appearance of declaration pages will vary, however these are the checkpoints to look for:
1) Insured: This should match the registered or documented owner, and also must be the person who will be leasing a slip. (If it is in a company name, you must sign a letter of personal guarantor.)
2) Policy period: This shows the effective dates of your policy. It must be current.
3) Liability coverages: The wording on this can vary, however we require a minimum of $500,000.
4) Additional Insured: Anyone wishing to dock here for a month or more must list the additional insured as follows:
SCPT Marina Village, LLC and The City of San Diego
1936 Quivira Way, San Diego, CA 92109

There are many insurance companies, we recommend you research the best one for your personal situation. We suggest talking to an agent at a company you’re already familiar with, such as whomever insures your car or home. George Greenwell Insurance is a local company that we recommend as well.  While insurance companies mail us the renewal if we are listed as additional insured, YOU are responsible to make sure that the copy we have on file for you is current each time you renew.

You’ll need to have your boat surveyed before getting insurance – check out Christian & Co. Marine Surveyors for some good general information and sample surveys.

Here is some information on understanding boat insurance terms. While the Department of Boating & Waterways states “you do not have to have boater’s insurance in California“, you ARE required to have current boat insurance to dock at our marina for ANY length of time.

The appearances of these documents can vary, please contact the marina office if you have any questions.

What are your insurance requirements?

For overnight or short-term guests (less than 2 weeks), our lease states the following:
That Owner shall have effective bodily injury and property damage insurance for the protection of the Marina and others with a combined minimum limit of $500,000.

For boaters that plan to be here for a month or more, we require that your insurance lists the following:
- general watercraft liability limit with a minimum of $500,000.
- SCPT Marina Village, LLC & The City of San Diego must be named as additional insured.  You may use the address of 1936 Quivira Way, San Diego, CA 92109.

Your boat should be identified on the declaration page (make, year, etc.).  You will need to sign a letter of personal guarantor if the boat is listed under a company name.

The long version of what we require for permanent tenants is as follows:
Owner shall have in effect bodily injury, property damage and pollution insurance, as well as insurance covering contractual liability the Owner contractually assumes under this Agreement, for the protection of the Marina and others with a minimum coverage limit of $500,000 per occurrence. Owner shall, before locating his/her Vessel at the Marina, provide an original or a true and correct copy of the Vessel‟s Certificate of Insurance evidencing such coverage, with a combined minimum limit of $500,000 per occurrence. The Marina, including its employees and agents, and the City of San Diego shall be named as additional insureds. A current Certificate of Insurance shall be maintained on file with the Marina at all times during the term of the Agreement, and Owner agrees it is his/her sole responsibility to ensure a current Certificate of Insurance is tendered to the Marina. Owner shall be responsible, with or without demand, for tendering a copy of the Vessel‟s current registration/documentation and Certificate of Insurance, so current copies are always maintained by the Marina. Owner agrees to provide written notice to Marina of any change in insurance carrier, insurance agent or policy number, within five days of the occurrence of any such change. Insurance provided by the Owner shall be primary as to all covered claims and any insurance carried by the Marina is not excess and is non-contributing.
Copies of policies or original certificates of insurance with respect to each policy shall be delivered to the Marina prior to the commencement of the term of this Agreement and thereafter, at least thirty (30) days before the expiration of each existing policy.

How far in advance can I reserve a guest slip?

Reservations greater than two weeks in advance must have a minimum stay of 7 days, confirmed with a credit card, pre-paid for at least four days, non-refundable. All other reservations can be handled within the 14 day period, pre-paid with a credit card, one day non-refundable.

The daily rate applies unless otherwise stated.

Do you have live aboard slips?

No. Live aboard slips are not allowed within Mission Bay.

For us, “live aboard” constitutes “being aboard a Vessel after midnight for more than five (5) consecutive nights or more than a total of ninety (90) nights within a calendar year”. Additionally, your vessel must have a USCG-approved marine sanitation device if anyone is staying on the boat overnight.

If you are looking for live aboard marinas in San Diego, here are some places that may offer live aboard slips:
Sunroad Marina
Shelter Cove Marina
California Yacht Marina

Are utilities included in the rent?

Utility fees are included in the daily guest rate. For permanent slips, a flat rate monthly utility fee is charged.

Are there locked gates to the docks?

Yes, we have an electronic gate control system, allowing each boater to access their dock and facilities such as restrooms, showers, and laundry.

Is there a fee for parking?

No, we have ample free parking for our boaters. Parking is controlled with permits issued by the Marina Office. A maximum of two permits are issued per slip, and tenants must provide valid car registration in their name to obtain a permit.

If I buy a boat in the marina, is the slip transferable?

No, the slip does not transfer with the boat, and we have waiting lists for most sizes of slips. Buyers or prospective buyers must fill out an application for a slip if they wish to keep the boat in the marina for any length of time.

Selling your boat or transferring your title to someone does not mean your responsibility to us has ended.  You have leased a slip from us and are responsible for it (and all related fees) until such time as your lease ends.  If you have a buyer that wants to buy your boat in payments, let the office know.

Do NOT give your gate keys, boat keys, or parking tags to your buyer until authorized to do so by our office staff.

Permanent tenants are required to give 30 day notices.  If you have a bottom liner, the bottom liner must also leave for us to consider the slip vacant/re-rentable.





How long does it take to get to the open ocean from your marina?

The Mission Bay channel is only 2-3 minutes from your slip and from the channel it’s a short 6-7 minute transit to open waters.

Do you have boat launch facilities and fuel at the marina?

There are no fuel or launch facilities at our marina. A launch ramp is available over at the nearby Dana Landing, and a fuel dock is available within the basin (at the Hyatt).

What do you require before I bring a boat in?

There are a number of mandatory requirements to provide before a boat can stay in our marina. This means you MUST have them in place BEFORE you dock your boat here.

Boaters that dock under a guest agreement are only required to provide a completed application and copies of valid, current registration (or documentation) and insurance.  We do not retain copies of these items or keep your application on file for future visits.  This must be completed BEFORE you dock your boat.

Boaters wishing to apply for a long-term lease agreement need to provide multiple things, and must have a dockmaster-approved long-term application on file before we begin collecting other items.  Some of these are proof of residence, insurance, valid license, boat documentation/photos, an approved power cord, etc.  This must be completed BEFORE you dock your boat.

Please call for further details.  You may review our slip rates here.

Can you add on extra cleats?

Our slips have four cleats – port and starboard for both bow and stern. We can replace broken cleats upon request, but we won’t install a fifth cleat.  Tenants are welcome to install a bow cleat on their own if they choose.

I plan on vacating the slip. Now what?

If you are here as a guest tenant, we do not require a 30-day notice.  Your length of stay is defined and pre-paid when you make the guest reservation.

If you are here as a permanent tenant, we do require a 30-day notice

If you are here as a permanent tenant and thinking of selling your boat, we suggest submitting your notice sooner rather than later, as you will be financially responsible for the slip thirty days from the date we receive your form.

If you are selling your boat and your buyer is leaving the same day they purchase the boat, the seller is financially responsible for the slip for all 30 days.  We may be able to utilize your security deposit to cover time remaining after you give your notice, however we can discuss that option at the time notice is given.

If you are selling your boat and the buyer wishes to keep it in the marina, the following must happen:
1) AS SOON AS THE BOAT IS IN THEIR NAME, the buyer must submit the following:  a completed guest application, proof of insurance and proof of registration or documentation (all in their name).  A bill of sale or travel letter will temporarily suffice while they are on a guest agreement.
2) The slip does NOT transfer with the sale of the boat.
3) If the buyer would like to stay as a permanent tenant, they will have to go through our application process, much like the seller themselves may have.  This involves a completed long term application, proof of residence, credit or  reference checks, et cetera.

For further details or clarification, please contact our office.

I have or need to rent a boat trailer. Do you have storage?

We do not have trailer storage, only a few designated parking spots that are for guests only. We do not offer long-term trailer parking, and typically do not allow trailer parking for more than two weeks.

Our trailer parking spots are available on a first-come first-served basis and are not guaranteed even if pre-requested due to our limited area. If spaces are available upon arrival, the Marina Office will assign a temporary permit to attach to the trailer. There is no charge for trailer parking when it is available.

We do not have trailer storage here at the marina. There are numerous trailer storage facilities available throughout San Diego, however we have none on site.

We do not rent boat trailers. There are numerous boat trailer rental companies available throughout San Diego, however we have none on site.

Do you offer Dock N Dine services?

If you’re interested in any dock ‘n’ dine activities, there are several nearby facilities that do offer those types of services.


Marina Village has two distinct departments to serve your needs:


Follow Me on Pinterest


535christina_joshua aerialmarina8 n12671944945_430418_8537 0531141338a

Mariner's Links

Meetings & Events

MV Online